- 1 ham hock
- 1 cup dried, mixed beans (rinsed)
- 3 -4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (with basil, garlic, oregano)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 2 carrots, sliced in thin rounds
- 1 celery stalk; peeled and diced
- 1 sweet onion, halved and pan seared
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 or 7 peppercorns,cracked
- 2 tsps herbs de provence
- (RESERVE – add this at the end of cooking) Juice from 1 lemon
Spices – I added a few generous pinches of kosher salt at the end, and a shake of southwestern seasoning. Taste it before salting; sometimes the ham hock can make the soup salty, and you don’t need to add more.
Put all the ingredients (except lemon juice) into the crock pot, on high setting for one hour. Lower to low heat, and cook for 4 hours or so … beans should be tender. Check midway through – if it’s too thick, add more water, half a cup at a time. Taste before finishing and season to taste (generous kosher salt, and other seasoning … you could add some cumin, or saffron.) Check the beans after 3.5 hours – add more liquid if necessary, as beans absorb the liquid.